Specialising in the development of new classes of drugs against degenerative age-related diseases, the most advanced of the biophytis programmes are aimed at sarcopenia (the SARCOB technological platform) and ARMD (the maculia platfom):
- In sarcopenia, the SARCOB technological platform combines the candidates SARCONEOS and BIO103.
- In ARMD, the MACULIA technological platform MACULIA combines the candidates MACUNEOS and BIO203.
Biophytis has an innovative portfolio of therapeutic solutions in various stages of development:
- In 2016, SARCONEOS was tested in 2 preliminary clinical studies before entering phase 2B : the SARA-PK study consists of checking the candidate’s pharmacokinetics in healthy elderly patients, and the SARA-OBS study aims at better characterising the target population. The SARA Phase 2B study will start in the first half of 2018.
- The clinical program in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, a new orphan pediatric indication, will start in the second half of 2018.
- MACUNEOS will follow the same path, with the two preliminary studies MACA-PK and MACA-OBS, before entering the MACA phase 2B clinical test.
- The candidates BIO103 and BIO203 will start phase 1/2a MACA PK in the first half of 2018 to assess their safety, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profiles.
- The clinical program in Stargardt’s disease will start in the second half of 2019.
The economic model of Biophytis consists of taking its SARCOB and MACULIA platforms through to proving clinical activity for the family of compounds, supplemented by the description of the mechanism of action, proving of the safety of the candidates and their characterization on the secondary indications.